How to Create a Book Cover in 5 Steps – An inspirational Guide
As interesting as a book is in content, it will not catch a reader’s eye if it does not have an attention-grabbing cover. No matter how much your grandma told you in childhood about never judging a book by its cover, people do it all the time. A beautiful book cover tells the reader about its theme, mood, and the creativity of the writer. Book writers stress about not having the creativity to create artistic book covers and require guidance. But many authors and book writers do not have enough budget to hire a professional designer or book cover design services UK to get the covers of their books made. So they have the only option to create a book cover by themselves. And while it might not be very professional you can still make your book cover attractive, eye-catchy, and impressive to grab your audience’s attention.
People might use the phrase don’t judge a book cover by its cover but in all honesty, 70% of the reading audience do get curious if they see a book cover that is unconventional or attractive. So there are a lot of chances that a beautiful book cover can get your sales up and impress your readers to check your other works too. Here are 5 steps told by professional experts about how to design a book cover for any genre of book in a way that will get your readers hooked.
Design a Book Cover in Five Simple Steps
- Discover your audience and find out what they are craving to see. Check out different authors’ latest publications and see which types of books your readers are preferring and then analyze their cover designs to get some inspiration.
- Use vibrant colors on dark backgrounds. Vibrant colors can grab the reader’s attention as they accentuate the fonts or any illustration on dark backgrounds. Colors have a great effect on a person’s mood. A dark color can change the reader’s mood to gloomy while bright vibrant colors can bring forward a person’s happy and content emotions.
- Choose a font that is not too simple and also not complex so that readers have to focus more than normal to read the title or introduction. Try using typography to experiment with font styles for your book cover.
- Use a design tool to create attractive and beautiful illustrations. A cover that has any type of imagery will attract more audience than a cover with just text over a plain background.
- Express the mood of your book or the genre through your cover. Choose fonts, colors, and illustrations that will represent the atmosphere of your story. For example, if your book conveys tragedy or horror, shades of grays, blacks, or dark blues will represent the gloomy or tense mood of your book, and if your book is a rom-com hue of reds, pinks, whites, and purples can light up the mood for the reader.
We hope this short guide might have helped you take some inspiration for making a book cover design for your next bestseller in this modern era. All the best!